Friday, April 18, 2014

Driver Who Hits Cyclist: "I Just Don't Care"

This is pretty infuriating to read. 

Kimberly Davis, a 21-year old Australian woman, slammed into a bicyclist while she was texting and driving. This mature and responsible driver wants something to be done about the victim's pain and suffering -- her own pain and suffering, that is.  That's right. She thinks she's the victim.


I'm not self-centered. I just know who's
really important.

"I just don't care because I've already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is, like, pretty expensive and now I have to fix it," she told the police. 

Poor thing. How dare that bicyclist dent up her car after she plowed into him. Oh, wait -- she thinks the accident was the cyclists fault.

"I'm kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don't agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn't on my phone when I hit the cyclist," she said later. That's right -- everybody knows that talking on the phone while driving is dangerous, which is why she thinks texting is OK.

After her "ordeal" Davis did what any self-centered airhead would do -- she turned to Facebook, where she showed lots of concern for the victim, and a full appreciation for the seriousness of her actions.
From HuffingtonPost. I don't even know what to make of the comments
and "likes" to this dim-bulb's Facebook posts. Her "friends" must be
really responsible and mature people, too.
The actual victim had a fractured spine, requiring surgery and placement in a special spinal cage for three months of recovery. He was absolutely lucky not to end up paralyzed. 
According to the original story in Australia's Standard, Davis was fined $4500 and lost her license for 9 months. The wife of the injured cyclist said she was disappointed that Davis didn't lose her license for even longer. Given Davis's attitude and complete lack of remorse, I think she should never drive again. 

5 comments:

  1. Yikes. I hope her self-centered devotion to not losing her license/money motivates her to stop plowing down cyclists, if nothing else. Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not usually driven to violence to solve matters, but I think many riders could get behind my theory that these type of people need to be beaten about the head with their damn phones.


    Sadly, I bet there are many of us with similar stories.
    In Oct. of '11, I was commuting to work, and I was run down by a young girl more worried about her texting than watching the road. She sent me flying across the street. I spent a week in the hospital with a variety of injuries to the left side of my body, and a shoulder separation that has already been under surgery twice and still not "fixed". I'm still dealing with the legal issues (her fault, obviously), and it has all but ruined me financially as well as physically, and she will likely suffer no worse than inflated insurance rates for a short period of time. She, I've recently found out, lied preposterously on her police report. Fortunately for me, I had many witnesses that were willing/able to speak up and fill out their own witness reports.


    I'm going to have to go look at that Fuji ad from your previous post to cheer myself up, now...


    Wolf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have a bad experience to share, Wolf. I felt the same way about looking back at the old ads. I almost posted a few more old ads just to get the texting girl off the top of my page.

      Delete