Monday, June 27, 2016

The Coolest Bike Accessory Of 932 A.D.

Remember this?

"You're using coconuts! You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're banging' 'em together!"


Well, now a company called Trotify brings us the coolest bike accessory of 932 A.D.


Mount this little tire-driven wooden contraption over your front wheel (it mounts to the front brake bolt) and you too can sound like a trotting horse, or one of King Arthur's knights.

The company's website has a couple of videos of the product in action. Here's one:



The Trotify gadget comes as shown, with pre-cut wooden pieces that have to be punched out and assembled. Nuts, bolts, and other hardware are included - but from what I understand, one has to provide their own coconut
Luckily, finding a coconut is a little easier today than it was in 932.

     "Where'd you get the coconuts?"
     "We found them."
     "Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical! This is a temperate zone."
     "The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter yet these are not strangers to our land."
     "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

Even if you're not so intent on sounding like a trotting horse, it looks like a fun little project anyhow. I'm thinking my kids might enjoy one.

Trotify was crowdfunded and the first units distributed to their backers last year, but the makers are now setting up for regular distribution. Anyone interested in the gadget should visit the site to be notified when the next batch is ready for purchase.

10 comments:

  1. Ahaha, funny. I wish my kids got it when I make Monty Python refs.

    Wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second thing to cheer me up today (first was Iceland beating England - so Pythonesque). I must point out what I will take to be the fault of abominable auto-correct: it's plover, not plumber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny thing - the subtitles in the video say "plover" while the "official" script I found says "plumber" -- and there is a bird called the plumber, but they are American, and may not be a bird found in England or Europe. That could become a Python script in itself.

      Delete
  3. This gave me a double dose of laughter: one for "Trotify", the other for "Monty Python And The Holy Grail", which I think is one of the best comedies ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how it sounds at a decent riding speed? Or will the contraption fall to bits at anything above a walk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the FAQ page says it works best at "slow to medium" speed - and can be shut off at higher speeds.

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOD!!! HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS ALREADY!!?? THANK YOU RETROGROUCH!!!

    Spindizzy

    P.S. I'm not kidding...

    ReplyDelete