Monday, May 10, 2021

A Foggy Morning - and an Odd Sign

As I'm sitting here typing this, the sun is once again shining in through the window after a solid week of rain in NE Ohio. No joke - it rained every day for the past week, and seemed especially biblical on Mothers Day as some of our local streets looked like canals, and flash flood warnings were the order of the day. I know of more than a few folks in my area whose homes are currently looking like lakefront properties. I don't think the showers stopped until sometime early this morning.

This morning promised to be the start to a good day for riding to work, but first I'd have to negotiate with heavy fog for the morning commute. The fog got particularly thick once I'd left the city limits and got into the more rural part of my ride as I neared my workplace. On the rural roads, the visibility was reduced to only about 20 yards -- possibly less in some spots.

I do get a little concerned about my own visibility on such mornings. I've got a flashing light on the back of my helmet, a couple of bright tail lights on the back of my bike, and two bright LED headlights - but in fog as thick as what we had this morning, I can only hope it's enough. I couldn't see car headlights until they got within about 30 yards away, so I doubt my lights are any better than that.

An odd sight emerged from the fog. Some kind of sign? A single lost shoe, looking to be reunited with its mate? And if so, why is it that whenever you see a shoe on the side of the road, it's always just ONE shoe? How does that even happen?

As the morning progressed, the fog burned off, revealing clear skies - finally. The ride home should be quite nice. In fact, if the forecast is to be believed, we should have a nice week ahead of us. That would be a welcome turn.

Well, that's all I've got for the moment. Just a short post for today.

3 comments:

  1. How do those solitary shoes end up there?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a worldwide mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understand, we had 3 days of Snow showers, mist, rain and solid gray and CHILLY before it finally broke but even then on a day the weather guesser's said, Sunny and warm, our ride was gray and cloudy and a bit gray, with the sun peaking out just enough to tease us at times! :( Today started sunny and warm but the clouds have rolled over Pikes Peak and now it's mostly gray and the rain will come and sadly looks to be here every early afternoon till Thursday!! Arrugh!! Hope you get your week on Sunshine and rides! :)

    ReplyDelete